Community Forum

Please read the intro before joining/posting. Thank you.

If you have questions about our software, chances are this forum has the answers.

You'll need to register before you can post on the forum to ask your question or to answer another one. A reply will be posted to each and every question that is asked so there is no need to double post or bump your post. We'll do our best to answer promptly, but in some cases it may take a day or two. If you bump your post, it may be removed. Bear with us and we'll get your question answered quickly.

Here are a few tips to help you to get your questions answered more rapidly.

IMPORTANT: Posts in English only. We don't employ translators and we'll be unable to understand your message properly and will probably delete it.
SOFTWARE: Each software has it's own forum. Software here is NOT supported. Posts about this software will be deleted. Supported software questions ONLY please.
SEARCH: Use the search option to see if your question has been answered on the forum before now or if there is an answer in the documentation of your software.
PERSONAL SUPPORT: If you have purchased a commercial version of any software, using the contact option at the licence centre ensures a faster response.
AUTO DELETION: Accounts older than 5 days, with no posts or topics, are automatically deleted. Only register if you are thinking of posting.
LINKS: Any links posted are not clickable (to deter spammers) and must be copied / pasted into your browser address bar.

You are not logged in.

How to upgrade from 2.05 to 2.1 - A user guidePosts in the Maian Cart forum by DAustin
DAustin
04-09-2013 14:19:00

EDIT:

I've had several issues occur in recent weeks that are probably due to an error in upgrading in the following way, as such you are highly recommended to do a fresh install instead!   I'll leave this guide in place for people wanting to MOVE THEIR THEME ONLY!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I'm posting this because I had some issues upgrading from 2.05 to 2.1.  I share my findings with other users to simplify the process for those not as tech savvy.

Warning:  This guide is not endorsed by MaianScriptWorld or David Ian Bennett, unless otherwise stated by himself.  I provide it as is, and myself (Dan Austin) or David Ian Bennett are not responsible for any errors resulting from following this guide.  BACKUP YOUR DATABASE AND STORE FOLDER AND YOU CAN ALWAYS GO BACK TO 2.05 IN CASE OF A FATAL ERROR.

The following is a step by step guide.  Please take note of step 3 & 4 in particular.

Step 1 - Create a backup of your store's database!  Do this either with the inbuilt function in the tools section of the maiancart admin section or via the export option in PHPMyAdmin.  Do a full backup if you use the latter.

Step 2 - Rename the store folder (i.e. /cart) to an alternate name (i.e. /cart.old).  We can revert back to our old cart by renaming this folder back to its original name if needs be.

Step 3 - Follow the instructions up to and including step 5 in the maiancart documentation, do not perform step 6!  Upload version 2.1 to your site in the correct folder (i.e /cart)

Step 4 - Run the following file: "http://www.yoursite.com/cart/install/upgrade.php".  DO NOT RUN THE STANDARD INSTALL SCRIPT UNLESS YOU WANT TO WIPE YOUR DATABASE CLEAN

Step 5 - From your "/cart.old" folder download the "/templates" folder to your computer.

Step 6 - Using an advanced text editor such as Notepad++ (or TextWrangler if you're on a a Mac), Run a "Multi-File Search & Replace" on the templates folder.  Replace "templates/" with "content/_your_theme/" (without quotes).  "_your_theme" can be named anything but must start with the underscore! ( "_" character)

Step 7 - Upload "_your_theme" folder to "cart/content"  [EDIT] DON'T UPLOAD THE FOLDER NAMED 'js'.  These are the javascript functions that perform the animations etc on the menus.  Mine broke but only just found out today what went wrong, whoops!  If you have custom scripts you want to use again, upload those individually to the new 'js' folder but remember that they might not work with the new 2.1 system.  If you're animations are no longer working (zoom images, menu sliders etc - overwrite your theme's 'js' folder with the one supplied in the 2.1 system to recover them.

Step 8 - Upload "template/products" to "content/products"

Step 9 - Place your "stylesheet.css" file where you have specified it in your "content/_your_theme/header.tpl.php" file.

[EDIT] Step 10 - If you have modified your language files, you can re-upload them to the "content/language/english" folder.  You can replace all the files EXCEPT for the "global.php".  If you have accidentally overwritten it with your old global.php file, you can recover it by uploading the file bundled in v2.1

That's it, the whole system should be updated without the need to re-upload products or product photos. You can continue following the installation guide from step 7 onwards.

All of my issues were down to relative linking in my design of 2.05, caused by the change of file directory structure in 2.1.  If this guide hasn't solved all of your issues, I am 99% sure that this is the cause of the issue for yourself.

I can offer limited assistance if you're stuck, post a reply and I'll try to lend a hand where I can.  I'll also format this post to make it more readable later on today.

DAustin
06-09-2013 13:57:15

No worries David, it helps me in the future because I can come back here to see what I did!  I can see why you've changed the file structure, as it stops duplicating images etc, for different themes.  Pretty nifty, plus looking forward to implementing category specific themes, if and when I get given the chance!

One minor issue with the guide I've just edited in step 7.  Now back to the joys of trying to get 3 tables to join correctly so I can quickly categorize 5,000 products into their 70 categories sad

100% Free SoftwareSoftware Versions, Development, Docs & UpgradesHostingNewsletter
Made with in the U.K & Hong Kong

Free PHP Scripts / Responsive PHP Scripts / Lightweight PHP Scripts / White Label PHP Scripts